Pages

Thursday, April 7, 2016

Day 9 - or - Tom is stupid

Didn’t sleep well again, finally got out of bed at about 7:30, got out and was surprised that it was pleasant outside, almost cool. Went toward the Main Bazaar, got breakfast at a place I’m not gonna return to again (the food was borderline inedible), then went on a long photo walk


Walked on a bridge, and a guy driving a bunch of schoolgirls yelled at me to take a photo, so I did...



Then I passed through a market which seems to be in the sole business of power tools and DIY home stuff - an entire street of the same stuff over and over again.

It was too crowded so I tried the metro (insanely cheap, easy to navigate, but a little too packed and smelly), I have no idea where I was going, I guessed that the “Kashmere Gate” station would be a central place and might have something interesting to see nearby, so I got out there.
It wasn’t. It’s just another dump. I walked around, found some place named the red fort (which is indeed just that)

And then I got lost. Like, not really lost, as you’re never lost when you’re with Google, but I had no idea where I am, or why I’m there. Everything looked roughly the same to me (except I found myself in a Muslim area, which has slightly differently dressed people), and I ended up just getting a motor riksha to the main bazaar. Went to the Chabad house, got a Schnitzel, and found that the rabbi and me went to yeshiva together, and he seems to remember me quite well. Small world :)
Anyway, went back to my room, had a skype chat with my awesome client, chilled for a bit, then went out to get something to eat.
Well, the hotel is pretty good, but the area is shit. I couldn’t find any decent restaurants here, and instead of doing the sensible thing of returning empty handed to the hotel, and ordering room service, I got a vegetable rice thingie from a small store in the market.
It was pretty good, going in.
But it’s not good. Not good at all.
Now, to top the fact that I’m recovering from a ENT infection, I’ve also gotten my stomach upset. Why, oh why, didn't I go for the logical option of ordering room service? So stupid!


Kids, if I could offer you only one piece of advice for your future visit in India, this would be it - only eat freshly cooked food in India, preferably from decent restaurants. If it sits on a counter, or inside a dish, do not eat it. No matter how hungry you are. Don’t do this to yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment